What do you do with an idea?


A year or so ago I made the mistake of taking my 4 boys into a Barnes & Noble. While one might think taking your kids into a bookstore is a sign of good parenting the truth is its a good way to ruin a perfectly fine day because kids don't want the books at the book store they want the toys or at the very least the books you don't really want them to have (books about minecraft, or folding paper airplanes). So after we managed to make it to the check-out and almost pay for our purchases (all books) the girl on the register who was just doing her job made the suggestion to add this book on to our order for just $5.00 anyone who knows anything about children knows you then have to leave with the book whether you want to or not. So we did. I forgot the book existed.
Available for $12.29 on Amazon

Fast forward to a few months ago when I started seeing a group of friends consistently posting on social media about their budding small businesses, family needs, ideas and passions. I've always been one to try to support those around me but I am even more someone that is trying to save money, get the best deal and frankly just make ends meet. So, basically I'm like everyone else.

But, I had an idea. What if all of us women and parents that are balancing our passions and our family needs, careers with carpools,  family demands with work demands. All of us who are keeping so many balls in the air that the people around us are saying "I don't know how you do it" - what if we helped each other. We can't all buy each other's products but we can share the stories of the work being done and when you need home decor, a tutor, oils a consultant or advice maybe you can support someone in this same community of hardworking, passionate women and parents who are really just like you.

Last night this book What do you do with an idea? by Kobi Yamada was the book my kindergartner asked my husband to read to him before bed. As I listened to him read  I thought to myself, so this is the reason we had to buy this book. It really is a beautifully written and illustrated story of trusting yourself and owning your ideas.

My idea presented itself and like the book says, I ignored it. I set up a facebook page to keep it at bay but it kept following me around.  I wasn't sure what to do with it so I put it out there. I got an overwhelmingly positive response, a few confused looks and even the advice that I didn't know what I was doing and they were concerned that I would fail.  I dredged forward and stand before you proud of my idea and your ideas. I'm excited to present to you Dot's Picks; an idea that we can share passions and ideas and support each other.

We will start by sharing the work of women who have started their own businesses to help support their families by putting their talents and passions to work.  We will also be featuring the philanthropic work of families and women and families that blog. Dot and I will be sharing product and book reviews and our mommy baby experiences.

If you would like to be featured on our blog we are currently offering free features while spots are available. Just use the contact us feature, tell us a little about yourself and we will get back to you. In the meantime hit subscribe and wait for our first feature coming tomorrow.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double or Nothing Reeds, LLC ~ Melissa Feilhauer

Cups of Love by Allison Mercurio